White Witch - Trish Milburn

Originally reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

It took some time for me to get into the story. At first it felt a bit distant and I had some trouble with connecting to the characters. The book and story didn’t stand out from all the other paranormal stories I’ve read. It felt more like been there, done that. Till mystery was added to the mix. A missing page in a centuries old important book. Which might or might not hold all the answers… From that moment on I was intrigued and I started to enjoy the book

Jax and the rest of her friends felt a little on the thin “side” at first, they were flat. Therefore my connection problems. There was no real depth in the emotions they displayed. Especially from Jax I expected more, besides her daily anxiety for discovery, since she’s our main character. Besides the lack of heartfelt emotion I had also problems with the whole running away scheme. I know it’s not easy, running for your live and building a whole new existence somewhere else. But everything went too smooth, to the point that it made me skeptical (I know, maybe watched a bit too much movies, but still…). Fortunately later on everything changed for the better and was I fully connected to lively, full characters and a story where not everything went as Jax thought it would go.

Talking about Jax, I really loved her honesty. When she arrived at the point where she could not hide her identity anymore, she didn’t postpone the inevitable, didn’t try to come up with excuses, but just told the truth. Even if it might be the end of her friendships. Cause who can be friends with the hunter, when you’re the one he hunts?

The plot was nice too and it was not the usual story where someone transfers to a new school. No here we have a young girl running for her life. Only so she can be different, so she doesn’t succumb and gives in to the dark side (oooh Star Wars moment ). It was amazing to see how thorough Jax had considered everything. Nothing was left to chance. Much attention was paid to the temptation of giving in, to become evil, to use her powers again. And Jax had to try to refuse, cause otherwise she would be found…. Throw a very handsome Hunter in the mix and some romance and I’m in.

Conclusion

3 HEARTS. A light and enjoyable story, once you’re able to get across the halfway point. Before I felt the characters a bit on the “flat” side and had some trouble with getting into the story. But from the moment when there’s some puzzle the solve, the real story finally began and I was genuinely glad that I kept reading. It did help that there was a cute hunter and an even cuter witch, with a not so common story and I was a happy reader.

Source: http://witchmagsboekenplank.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/review-white-witch-by-trish-milburn