Reflection - Jessica Roberts

Originally reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

*I received a copy as part of a blog tour in exchange for an honest review*

*May contain some spoilers*

This is one of the most frustrating books I’ve ever read. Maybe even the most. I was this close *puts thumb on index finger* to bursting out in tears because of all the pent-up emotions. And because I was frustrated. A lot. The beginning is just toooooo slow for my taste! Right at the start you already know that she had an accident. It’s even in the blurb. But instead of knowing what exactly happens, there are 200+ pages you have to struggle through before you get to know what happened with Heather. This really worked on my nerves. I wanted to know what was going on. Not experience everything she went through in the six months or so before her accident, with full details. Okay, it helped with forming an image of Heather and her friends. And what lead to the crash. But couldn’t this be done in fewer pages? Or couldn’t we return to the here and now from time to time, so I would know how she’s faring now? Since you already know it’s just a dream….

The most frustrating part was definitely the ending. We’re finally in the here and now. Get to know what happened, why it happened. The consequences. AND THEN THE BOOK ENDED! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA! You’ve got to be serious? This is no ending at all! How could it end like this? Why did I read all of her memories if the book finishes here? It was such an anticlimax and cliffhanger at the same time. And I was left hanging! With a lot of emotions that I couldn’t give a place! Therefore my almost bursting in tears reaction.

I also had a hard time understanding Heather. Who she was, what her real character is like. Cause you experience everything through her memories, who are sometimes pretty otherworldly, or making no sense at all. This makes it hard to believe that everything is real. Especially when you keep in mind this is supposed to be a dream. And in the end it left me confused and with no information about Heather at all. Fortunately this was a very compelling read, so the book managed to keep me interest, even if I didn’t have a clue of what was going on. I really wanted to know how it ended! (Of course this was before I read the actual ending -.- )

Conclusion

I haven’t got the tiniest idea of how many hearts this book is worth. On one hand it’s a book that occupied my mind, even after finishing it. On the other hand it was pretty boring and frustrating to read about all those memories. Therefore let’s strike the golden mean: 3 HEARTS. I’m a little scared for the next book though, I don’t know if I’ll be able to survive another roller coaster like this…

Source: http://witchmagsboekenplank.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/review-reflection-by-jessica-roberts