After Eden (Fallen Angels, Book 1) - Katherine Pine

*Read the full review at Witchmag's Boekenplank*

The story started very promising. Heroin falls almost in the arms of our hero (okay, she fell on the hard floor, he wasn’t that quick ) and they feel instantly attracted to each other. There are also interesting flashbacks about Devi’s strange brother Kai. Very interesting, since I’ve never heard of an angel kidnapping children. Aren’t they supposed to be on the good side?

But then… Then they start talking and won’t stop. The alternation between action and endless conversations could have been done a bit better. I had to put the book down repeatedly. I just couldn’t keep my attention on the story. I also had a problem with the helplessness of Devi at some times. All she apparently could do was wait for rescue. Isn’t it a bit boring to have to wait all the time…

However, there was something I found truly amazing. When Oz shot Devi, deliberately, I was totally okay with her not harboring any feelings of resentment towards him. Katherine Pine wrote this part in such a way that everything was explained and everything happened with a reason. I even started to get irritated when he kept apologizing afterwards, cause he didn’t have to! When I start to think about it, it’s a little scary that she was able to make me feel okay about it… You normally wouldn’t be okay with something like this, would you?

I’m still confused about the difference between a demon and a devil. Apparently there’s some big difference between them and that’s important in the book, but I still don’t know what it is. It looked like the term was used at random. I at least couldn’t notice what the big difference was. What a spirit and a soul are, is explained a bit better, but at the end I still don’t get what they mean….

It was hard to get an overall rating for this one. There were parts of the story I really liked (a car plastered with pads ^^), but there were also parts I had to struggle to get through (how she treated Camael….). Therefore 3 HEARTS. It was a bit better than a normal “OK”, although it’s not a full “I liked it.” I don’t know if I want to read the next book, since the story seemed finished to me. I hope that , if I do read it, she’ll treat Camael better!

Source: http://witchmagsboekenplank.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/review-after-eden-by-katherine-pine