The Body Finder (Body Finder, #1) - Kimberly Derting

*Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank*

Gaaah. While typing this review I can still feel my heart beating in my throat. What a thrilling ending! What a great book! It made me feel like I was watching a horror movie. Some moments felt so real, so bone chilling. It’s been quite some time that I had much trouble with keeping my calm while reading. At times I was almost too scared to continue reading. I just knew what was coming and that it was inevitable…. Gosh, what a good book this was.

Fortunately for the “chicken” inside of me there were enough moments where the focus was on other, much more fun events. Like the blossoming feelings Violet has for Jay. I quite liked that she does not act like every other girl who falls in love with her best friend. Nope, she hates it and can’t wait to go back to the old and familiar. When Jay was just Jay and not the boy that makes her insides all giggly. Knowing that little fact makes it even more fun to watch her getting all jealous and at the same time trying to hide the fact that she is ^^ It’s hard keeping such a big secret from your BFF!

Violet truly is a brave and strong girl. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be, hearing “echoes” of dead animals or humans. Who have been murdered. Echoes that won’t stop ringing till she buries the dead. Echoes that also can be heard from the person or animal who is responsible for a killing. Even if it was “in the line of duty.” Therefore I forgive her slip-up at the end. Even though my mind still fails to comprehend how she could even think about it. I mean, the last thing I’d want to be is alone when a serial killer is out there! Enfin, I’ll stop here before I start ranting, it’s obviously she’s learned her lesson and let’s hope she doesn’t do it again.

The plot was great too, you get to see things through the eyes of the murderer and still there’s not enough clues to decipher who it could be. And the moment you think they’ve got him, there’s an unexpected twist and you’re back where you started. Wow! Did not see that one coming! I discovered one sore spot though, the plot gets a bit lengthy towards the end. It might be because I’m not the most patient person around that it got a bit boring, but what else could you expect from me? Page after page I could feel adrenaline souring through me body. I still did not know who the killer was and all they were talking about was normal day life? So not what I wanted to read about… The real ending, though, made it worthwhile, but still. I almost gave it a heart less because it took so long. Fortunately the big revelation was the best of the best. I almost had to cry, what usually means it was a good one ;)

Conclusion

4 HEARTS. A thrilling and compelling book. That switches between humor and funny passages and a scary thriller. This book will let you feel your heart racing in your throat and ill have you gasping for breath. It has a strong and brave main character named Violet with some unusual abilities. Even though it gets a bit boring towards the end, it ends with a big bang. A great read for everyone who likes a good romance and a fearful story.

Source: http://witchmagsboekenplank.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/review-the-body-finder-by-kimberly-derting